Saturday, February 18, 2012

Food and Fabric

Going through this weird food phase. Thinking an old allergy might have been the cause for a lot of mis-diagnosis or, maybe not. Either way it's got me thinking about food and the body. Meanwhile working away on creating displays for work while talking about food - it struck me. Food. Design. Design. Food. Last month my thoughts were Sport. Design. Design. Sport. So here's my next little connecting rant. [I believe this will all lead to some magnificent discovery and I will later post it - but for now research continues.

I thought I'd share some of my finds so far, including some really gorgeous "food fabric"

http://www.bitrebels.com/design/eat-your-clothes-edible-fabric-made-from-fruits-vegetables/

Can we thank Lady Gaga for this? I'm not so sure she's the first, and certainly not the last but as an artist speaking of another - the lady puts thought into this stuff. Now meat may not have been my first, or last choice for that matter - but it's something lovely to think about. The entire concept of wearing flesh. Draping carcasses on a body.


Now I'm not going to say I'd be so brazen as to wear some of the more transparent "food fabrics" in public, but I will say that I encourage the play and production of these pieces.


A second form of food in fabric is the idea of coffee beans.

http://www.psfk.com/2009/07/new-fabric-made-from-coffee-grounds.html


There's a lot of pitfalls in the discussion, some of them include the rotting of clothing. My thoughts : if we can get a hamburger to look the same 8 years later, why not an article of fruit cloth?

No comments:

Post a Comment